Dhoni, who became the first Indian captain to ever win all three ICC trophies and cemented his legacy as one of the cricket-crazy nation’s best captains of all time, has been valued at 21 million dollars, trailing Swiss tennis great Roger Federer, US golf legend Tiger Woods (they are tied at the first place), American professional basketball player LeBron James, American professional golfer Phil Mickelson and tennis beauty maria sharapova.
Federer, who holds a record 17 Grand Slam tennis titles, and Woods, who has won 14 major golf titles (second only to Jack Nicklaus’s record 18), are valued at 46 million dollars each. Then comes LeBron James, who is valued at 27 million dollars. Federer and Woods earned 46 million dollars each in 2013 while Dhoni bagged 21 million dollars, Sports24 quoted Forbes as saying.
According to reports, Federer’s endorsements include Nike, Rolex, Lindt and Jura Elektroapparate. His 10-year contract with Nike is reportedly worth a total of $100m. Woods is also sponsored by Nike.
The top 10 most valuable athletes according to Forbes are:
1. Roger Federer (Tennis) and Tiger Woods (Golf): 46 million dollars each
2. LeBron James (Basketball): 27 million dollars
3. Phil Mickelson (Golf): 25 million dollars
4. Maria Sharapova (Tennis): 23 million dollars
5. Mahendra Singh Dhoni (Cricket): 21 million dollars
6. Usain Bolt (Track and Field): 20 million dollars
7. Kobe Bryant (Basketball): 19 million dollars
8. Li Na (Tennis): 15 million dollars
9. Cristiano Ronaldo (Football): 13 million dollars
10. Lionel Messi (Football): 13 million dollars